10 Reasons to Meet in Calgary
This energetic city is as hospitable as it is innovative, having built its reputation for events on hosting the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth, the Calgary Stampede, for more than 100 years. As a basecamp for adventure or a springboard to the region’s booming tech and energy industries, Calgary provides a smart and inspiring setting for groups of all kinds.
- One destination with two great venues. Meeting planners have not one but two options to choose from for large events — the downtown Calgary TELUS Convention Centre and the BMO Centre at Stampede Park, just four blocks apart.
- It’s easy to get in and out. A western Canadian hub, Calgary is no more than one stop away from any major city in the world. Bonus — the Calgary International Airport is just 20 minutes from downtown.
- Calgary is compact and walkable. Meeting in Calgary puts attendees in the heart of the city’s vibrant cultural and entertainment districts, most of which is connected by an 11-mile skywalk system, +15. Prefer to stay outside? The city has 497 miles of walking and cycling paths.
- The buzz is big right now. The New York Times put the city on its coveted “52 Places to Go in 2019” list, and last year The Economist named Calgary the fourth best place to live in the world.
- It’s easy to energize attendees. Here, attendees can ride down the world’s longest downhill luge track or soar across North America’s fastest zip line. And less than an hour’s drive from downtown, the Canadian Rocky Mountains and UNESCO World Heritage sites like Banff and Jasper National Parks offer even more adventure.
- Calgary has the happiest happy hours. Alberta’s ideal growing conditions produce some of the world’s best barley, helping to fuel Calgary’s booming microbrewery and distillery scene. The bites aren’t bad either — Calgary’s vibrant restaurant scene was recently named the second hottest in Canada.
- Locals love to get involved. Calgarians are the ultimate hosts who want to make attendees feel at home. Meeting planners can incorporate a local tradition by adding a White Hat Ceremony or a local makers’ market into their program.
- The off-site venues have major wow factor. Break out of the ordinary with stimulating group experiences at the Calgary Zoo, Canada’s National Music Centre, Spruce Meadows equestrian facility, or TELUS Spark science museum.
- Calgary is green and clean. Calgary has one of the highest concentrations of green space in North America, and is the first municipality in Canada to power its infrastructure solely by renewable energy.
- It’s Canada’s sunniest major city. Calgary averages nearly 2,400 hours of bright sunshine annually. During the summer months, visitors can expect daylight until well past 9 p.m.
For more reasons to visit Calgary, click here!